NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA SOS 301 INTRODUCTION TO PEDOLOGY AND SOIL CLASSIFICATION
14/16, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY October, 2013 Examination
Course Code: SOS 301
Course Title: INTRODUCTION TO PEDOLOGY AND SOIL CLASSIFICATION INSRUCTION: Answer Any Four Questions in 2 1/2 hours
- a) What is soil?
- b) Briefly enumerate the importance of soil to man
- c) Based on percentage particle size composition, list the three 3 basic types of soils.
- a) Describe the structure call Rock b) List the 3 types of rocks
- c) Write a short descriptive note on rocks formed as a result of sedimentation and give 3 examples of rocks formed from such action
- a) What is weathering
- b) List five agents of biological weathering.
- c) Write a comprehensive note on physical weathering
- a) List the components of i) chemical weathering ii) biological weathering b) Describe soil formation under passive and active factors
- a) Write a short note on i) soil porosity (ii) soil permeability (iii) soil infiltration b) List any 3 soil s reactions
- a) Discuss the types and importance of soil amendment to agriculture b) Write a short note on biological properties of the so