NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA EDU 823 Educational Research Methods
14–16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2013 EXAMINATION
Course Code: EDU 823 Credit: 3
Course Title: Educational Research Methods Time Allowed: 3 Hours
Instructions: Answer question number one (1) and any other three (3)
|1a||i.||Explain the term Library|
|ii.||State the two (2) modifications that have taken place in the role of the|
|Library as a|
|source of literature for research and why?|
|b.||i.||What is a questionnaire?|
|ii.||State at least three (3) characteristics of a good questionnaire|
|c.||i.||Identify the concerns of Descriptive Survey research methodology|
|ii.||Why is the Survey research included in the quantitative tradition rather|
|than the qualitative?|
2a. Explain any three (3) of the following statements of characteristics of research process according to Leedy (1997).
- Research requires a specific plan of procedure
- Research is usually divides the principal problems into manageable sub- problems
iii. Researchers are guided by specific research problems, questions or hypothesis
- iv. Research accepts certain critical assumption.
- b. State the three (3) major systems of classifying educational research methods and give at least one (1) good example of each of the three (3) classification
3a. State and explain at least three (3) reasons why some students abandon their graduate work.
- b. Discuss the importance of Literature Review in reshaping a research problem
4a. Discuss the concepts of units of analysis and reactivity commonly used in humanities studies.
- b. Why is it very important to clearly specify the unit of analysis in research?
- List the five (5) units of analysis commonly used in humanities.
|5a.||i.||What is meant by a theory and a hypothesis in educational research?|
|ii.||Explain the characteristics of a good theory and a good hypothesis in|
- b. What are the relationships between theories and hypotheses in research?