NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA EDA844 EDUCATION STATISTICS FOR EDUCATIONAL MANAGEMENT
14-16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND LAGOS SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
OCTOBER 2013 EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: EDA844
COURSE TITLE: EDUCATION STATISTICS FOR EDUCATIONAL MANAGEMENT( 2 units)
Time 2 hours
Answer Question one and three others.
1) a) Differentiate between population and sample: (10marks)
- b) Write short notes on (i) simple random sampling (ii) stratified random sampling( 10marks) c) A population consists of the four numbers 2,5,9,12. Consider all possible samples size of two which can be drawn with replacement from the population. (10 marks)
2)a) What is statistics? ( 2 marks) b) Mention and discuss four characteristics and functions of statistics. ( 8 marks) c) Discuss the role of statistics in education (3 marks).
3) a) i) Define the concept of hypothesis testing. (3marks)
- ii) Differentiate between null and alternative hypothesis. (4marks)
- b) Find the coefficient of correlation for the following 10 sample observations using Spearman
Rank Order Correlations Formula.
4) a) Define the concept of Error. (3 marks)
- b) Discuss five advantages of samplin ( 5marks)
- c) 120 students were randomly selected from Federal Government College in Benin with a view to determine their subject preference. From the records, it was observed that 65 preferred science while 55 preferred Art With this information find X2statistic. (5 marks)
5) a)i)Explain the term ‘Estimation’ ( 2marks)
- ii) Explain the importance of Estimation in decision makin (2 marks)
- b) Arrange the following scores of 30 students in Physics test in:
- i) Ascending order ii)( 2marks) Descending order ( 2marks) iii) Form frequency distribution with the data according to siz (5 marks)
25 30 30 30 25 25 50 50 50 55
60 60 60 60 60 65 65 65 65 40
45 45 40 40 45 48 48 50 50 30