NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA CSP 401 BIOTECHNOLOGY IN CROP/PEST MANAGEMENT
14/16, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY October, 2013 Examination
COURSE TITLE: BIOTECHNOLOGY IN CROP/PEST MANAGEMENT
COURSE CODE: CSP 401 CREDIT UNIT: 3
TIME ALLOWED: 2 ½ HOURS
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER QUESTION 1 AND ANY OTHER FOUR QUESTIONS
- 1. Discuss biotic and abiotic constraints to crop production that have encouraged the application of biotechnology.
- 2. Define the following terms:
- Recombinant DNA iii. Transgenic event iv. A Clone
- v. Genetic engineering v Explant
vii. A construct viii. Biolistics
- Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism.
- 3. (a). Discuss concerns over the development of herbicide tolerant crop (b). List six ways through which herbicide resistance can be prevented or
(c). What is nitrogen fixation and why is the process essential for life?
- 4. (a). What is a genetic marker?
(b). List five commonly used genetic markers.
(c). Discuss the three major genetic traits that are used in breeding for resistance to fungal diseases in crops.
- 5. Discuss GM control of insect pest
- 6. (a). What are the applications and limitations of Random Amplification of Polymorphic
DNA (RAPD) marker technology?
(b). Discuss the three major genetic traits that are used in breeding for resistance to fungal diseases in crops.
- 7. (a). Give six precautions that should be taken in order to get good response to biofertilizer application.
(b). List four microorganisms that fix nitrogen.
(c). Distinguish between mutation and micropropagation.