NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA CPT 514 Post Harvest Handling and Storage
14-16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2013 EXAMINATION
CPT 514 (Post Harvest Handling and Storage)
INSTUCTION: ANSWER ANY FOUR QUESTIONS IN TWO HOURS All Questions weighs 15 marks
Total marks obtainable =60.
* List and describe any five climatic elements that affect plant growth and development. Question (2)
- a) Define rainfall and list any other form of precipitation apart from rainfall.
- b) List any 3 functions of water in plant.
- c) List any 3 effect of excess of water in plants. Question ( 3) .
- a) Discuss post-harvest treatments to minimize loss and maximize quality of produce b). Describe the treatments for decay control
c). Describe operations prior to packaging
- a) i) Describe primary,(ii) secondary and (iii) tertiary processing of crop product b) Explain traditional food fermentation in Nigeria
vi)List any3 challenges of food processing in Nigeria
- a) Describe the process of respiration and its effect on produce quality b) Explain the terms climacteric and non-climacteric fruits
- c) Enumerate the factors that impact on rates of respiration
a ) Describe the problems encountered during storage of crop produce b) Briefly explain how canning as a method of shelf life extension
- c) Briefly explain how drying as a method of shelf-life extension d) Briefly explain how as a method of shelf-life extension
- e) Briefly explain how high pressure as a method of shelf-life extension