NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA CIT 425 OPERATIONS RESEARCH
14/16, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY October, 2013 Examination
Course Code: CIT 425
Course Title: OPERATIONS RESEARCH
INSTRUCTION: Answer any four questions Time: 2 HOURS
- 1. (a) What is Operation Rese Discuss. (4 Marks) (b) List and explain three approaches in the analysis and interpretation of business problem. (7 Marks) (c) Enumerate and briefly explain the various steps involved in the scientific approach to an
operation research problem. (9 Marks)
- 2. (a) Explain the terms; Modeling and Mod (4 Marks) (b) List and explain at least four types of Models used in OR. (6 Marks) (c) Outline and explain five classes of mathematical model. (10 Marks)
- 3. (a) Using a tabular form, summarize the various common prototypes, their nature, model and
the techniques for handling each of these prototypes. (8 Marks) (b) A convalescent hospital wishes to provide at a minimum cost, a diet that has a minimum of
200g of carbohydrates, 100g of protein and 120g of fats per day. These requirements can
be met with two foods:
If food A cost 29k per ounce and food B cost 15k
per ounce, how many ounces of each
food should be purchased for each patient per day in order to meet the minimum requirements at the lowest cost?
Formulate the Linear Programming model. (12 Marks)
- 4. (a) State and explain the principle of Optimality (5 Marks) (b) A company presently operates three manufacturing plants that distribute a product to four
warehouses. Currently, the capacity of the plants and the demands of the warehouses are
stable. These are listed with the unit shipping costs in the following table.
Find the optimal distribution plan for the company (15 Marks)
A B C D
- 5. (a) What is Linear Programming. Enumerate at least five assumptions in Linear Programming.
(b) TRAX Ships a certain refrigerator unit from factories in Lagos and Onitsha to distribution centres in Abuja and Kano. Shipping costs are summarized in the table below:
The supply and demand, in number of units, is shown below:
How should transportation issue be made from Lagos and Onitsha to minimize the transportation cost? (13 Marks)
- 6. (a) Explain Vogel’s Approximation Method, outlining the algorithm involved in this method. (7 Marks) (b) A manufacturing company has divided its total target market into three zon
The Company’s marketing department has been collecting data regarding the deployment of salesmen and the sales made in each zones. They have realized that the sales are directly dependent upon the number of salesmen in each zone.
The data collected by the company is given in the table below. For various reasons, the
company has decided to retain only 9 salesmen during the next year.
Determine the allocation of these salesmen to these three different zones, so that the total
sales cab net is maximized. (13 Marks)
No. of Salesmen
Profits in Thousands of Naira
|Zone 1||Zone 2||Zone 3|