NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA BIO 413 DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY
14/16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OCTOBER, 2013 EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: BIO 413
COURSE TITLE: DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY TIME ALLOWED: 2 HOURS
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ANY FOUR QUESTIONS
1ai.Define the term organogenesis. ii. How can eggs be classified?
- What do you understand by primary egg membrane?
- ii. Describe the different types of primary egg membranes you know.
2ai. What do you understand by the term Assisted Reproductive Technology?
- ii. Describe the common methods of Assisted Reproductive Technology you know. b. Enumerate five ways through which infertility may be prevented in:
(i)Males (ii) females
3ai. List the functions of a placenta.
.ii. State the principles of development.
- Write short notes on any four of the following birth control methods:
(i) Copper T IUD (Intrauterine device) (ii) Depo-provera (iii) Contraceptive sponge
(iv) The patch (v) The mini-pill
4ai. List the stages of mitotic cell division.
- ii. Describe the fusion of genetic cell materials in mammals.
- Explain the anatomical approach to studying embryology in development.
5ai. List the steps involved in the interaction of sperm and egg in sea urchin. ii. Describe the term fertilization.
- List the different patterns of embryonic cleavage. ii. Describe the process of cleavage in a bird.
6ai. Outline the major differences between mitotic and meiotic cell divisions. ii. Explain the significance of meiosis in sexual reproduction?
- Define gametogenesis?
- ii. Explain how male infertility can be treated?