NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA BIO 405 HYDROBIOLOGY
14-16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND LAGOS SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2014 EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: BIO 405
COURSE TITLE: HYDROBIOLOGY TIME ALLOWED: 2HOURS
INTRUCTION: ANSWER QUESTION 1 (COMPULSORY) AND ANY OTHER THREE QUESTIONS.
- a. Outline the role of agriculture in eutrophication. (3marks). b. Identify any SIX (6) symptoms of eutrophication? (12marks).
- c. State ANY FIVE (5) effects of eutrophication on the receiving ecosyste (10marks)
- a. Name the THREE (3) basic types of freshwater ecosystems. Give TWO (2) examples each. (11marks).
- Give a precise description of a freshwater ecosystem. 10marks c. Name any TWO (2) sources of freshwater? 4marks.
- a. Define autotrophic organisms. Give any TWO (2) examples. (4marks)
- Define heterotrophic organisms. Give any TWO (2) examples. (4marks)
- c. Outline FOUR (4) importance of benthic invertebra (8marks).
- Describe the diversity of benthic organisms in different communities. (9marks).
- a. Define Productivity in ecology. (3marks).
- Distinguish between primary and secondary productivity in ecology. (6marks).
- c. In aquatic systems, primary production is typically measured using different tec Enumerate FOUR (4) of these techniques. (12marks).
- Why are wetlands the most productive natural ecosystems? (4marks).
- a. Outline the general features of Kainji Lake. (10marks).
- Why is Lake Tangayinka an important biological resource for the study of speciation in evolution? (10marks).
- c. Mention the five major natural vegetation types of Lake Chilwa. (5marks).
- a. Define water pollution? (2marks).
- State any THREE (3) causes of water pollution? (3marks).
- c. Outline the negative effects that could arise as a result of water pollution.(10marks). State FIVE (5) water-related diseases and their means of transmission. (10marks).