NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA BIO 308 BIOGEOGRAPHY
14-16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND LAGOS SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2014 EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: BIO 308
COURSE TITLE: BIOGEOGRAPHY TIME ALLOWED: 2 Hours INTRUCTION: Answer 4 questions
- a. Briefly outline the relationship between soil type and vegetation. 10marks
- Different types of vegetations give rise to different forms of organic matter in soils. Mention the five different soil processes involved. 5marks
- c. The humus contents of soils affect the growth of plants. Explain briefly. 10marks
- a. List the factors affecting dispersal of animals and plants? 8marks. b. Outline six principles of animal distribution. 12marks
- c. Floristic regions of the world are grouped into six kingdom Mention any five of these kingdoms. 5marks.
- a. Mention the six Zoogeographic provinces? 6marks.
- Briefly explain the concept of “Island Biogeography”. 10marks.
- c. State the theory of “Island Biogeography”. 4ma
- Identify any five factors that influence“Island Biogeography”. 5marks.
- a. Explain the relationship between climate and vegetation. 10marks.
- Briefly explain the interaction between climate and vegetation in Sahara/Sahel region.
- a. What is biogeography? 6marks.
- Why is biogeography considered to be a part of physical geography? 5marks.
- c. Mention the three main fields of biogeography. Briefly explain each of these fie
- a. Outline the common characteristics of tropical trees. 6marks
- what are the features that differentiate tropical trees from that of the temperate forest?
- c. Mention five tropical fauna Outline their features. 9marks