NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA BIO 308: BIOGEOGRAPHY
14-16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2013 EXAMINATION
BIO 308: BIOGEOGRAPHY EXAMINATION INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ONLY 4 QUESTIONS
TIME: 2 HOURS
- a. Define Biogeography.
- Why is biogeography considered to be a part of physical geography?
- Mention the three main field of biogeography. Briefly explain each of these fields.
- a. Outline the common characteristics of tropical trees.
- How are tropical trees different from that of the temperate forest?
- Mention five tropical faunas. Outline their features.
- a. What are the factors affecting dispersal of animals and plants?
- State five principles of animal distribution.
- Floristic regions of the world are grouped into six kingdoms. Mention these kingdoms.
- a. Mention the Zoogeographic provinces?
- Briefly explain the concept of “Island Biogeography”. c. State the theory of “Island Biogeography”.
- What are the influencing factors on “Island Biogeography”.
- a. Explain the relationship between climate and vegetation.
- Briefly explain the interaction between climate and vegetation in sahara/sahel region.
- a. Briefly outline the relationship between soil type and vegetation.
- Different types of vegetation give rise to different forms of organic matter in soils
.Mention the different soil processes.
- The humus contents of soils also affect the growth of plants. Explain briefly.