NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA BIO307 EVOLUTION
14/16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY JUNE/JULY EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: BIO307
COURSE TITLE: EVOLUTION (2 units)
TIME ALLOWED: 2 HOURS
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ANY FOUR QUESTIONS
1ai. Define classification
- Distinguish between prokaryotes and Eukaryotes.
- List the key evolutionary innovations that can be used to trace the evolution of the plant
- How have seeds improved the adaptations of plants to living on land?
2ai. Define mutation?
- Outline the harmful mutations. bi. Define adaptation.
- Write short notes on allopatric speciation and peripatric speciation.
3ai. Define the term Ecosystem.
- Ecology and Evolution are considered sister disciplines of the life science. Discuss.
- List the various techniques’ that can be used to investigate polymorphism in the laboratories.
- Discuss the mechanisms for balancing selection.
4ai. Define Biological Evolution?
- Describe mechanical isolation and hybrid gender. bi. Enumerate the causes of spontaneous mutation.
- Classify mutations on the basis of their functional effects.
5ai.What are the major reasons for extinction?
- Write short notes on genetic structure and horizontal gene transfer.
- Define population genetics.
- Discuss the importance of linkage in population genetics.
6ai.What is genetic recombination?.
- Write short notes on the following
(i) the fate of mutant alleles (ii) delaterious alleles
- List five probable stages involved in the origin of life. ii. Explain the following evidences of evolution:
(i) Bio-geographical (ii) Bio-chemical (iii) Anatomical