NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA BIO 307 EVOLUTION
14-16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2013 EXAMINATION
BIO 307 EXAMINATION COURSE TITLE: EVOLUTION
CERDIT UNIT: 2 TIME: 2 HOURS
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ANY FOUR QUESTIONS
1ai. Define Biological Evolution?
- Discuss mechanical isolation and hybrid gender. bi. Enumerate the causes of spontaneous mutation.
- Classify mutation on the basis of their functional effects.
2ai. What do you understand by the term mutation?
- Outline the harmful mutations. bi. Define adaptation.
- Write short notes on allopatric speciation and peripatric speciation.
3ai. Give the major reasons for extinction.
- Write short notes on genetic structure and horizontal gene transfer. bi. Define population genetics.
- Discuss the importance of linkage in population genetics.
4ai. Define the term Ecosystem.
- Ecology and Evolution are considered sister disciplines of the life science, Discuss.
- b List the various techniques’ that can be used to investigate polymorphism in the
- Discuss the mechanisms for balancing selection.
5ai.What is genetic recombination?. ii. Write short notes on the following
(i) the fate of mutant alleles (ii) delaterious alleles
- b List five probable stages involved in the origin of life. ii. Explain the following evidences of evolution:
(i) Bio-geographical (ii) Bio-chemical (iii) Anatomical
6ai. Define classification
ii Distinguish between prokaryotes and Eukaryotes
- b List the key evolutionary innovations that can be used to trace the evolution of the plant kingdom.
- How have seeds improved the adaptations of plants to living on land?