NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA BIO 303 GENERAL CYTOLOGY EXAMINATION
14/16, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY October, 2013 Examination
Course Code: BIO 303
Course Title: GENERAL CYTOLOGY EXAMINATION
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ONLY 4 QUESTIONS TIME: 2 HOURS
- a. Define the following terms:
- Cytogenetics; ii. Cytology; and iii. Genetics.
- i. Mention the different types of Structural Chromosomal Variations. ii. Define each of the mentioned structural chromosomal variations.
- c. i. What is Numerical Chromosomal Variation?
- ii. Mention the different types of numerical chromosomal var
- a. Mention the general cytogenetic procedures synonymous to all cytogenetic techniques. b. i. Define Karyotype.
- ii. After Karyotyping, mention the observable characteristics in the chromosomes. c. Outline the importance and applications of cytogenetics.
- a. Mention the molecular composition of a cell.
- State the functions/importance of protein in a living cell. c. Mention the different types of Nucleic acids.
- Outline the roles of the different types of nucleic acids.
- i. Mention the two major phase of cell cycle. ii. Name the five stages of mitosis.
iii. Define the word “Embryology”.
- Mention the stages of embryogenesis. v. Explain briefly, the word “Diakinesis.
- a. Three (3) major control checkpoints exist during the course of eukaryotic cell cycle.
Mention these checkpoints. Explain any one of these checkpoints.
- In a tabular form, make a brief comparism between RNA and Proteins.
- a. State the function(s) of the following parts of a Light Microscope:
- Eye piece; ii. Body tube; iii. Objectives;
- Diaphragm; and v. Stage.
- State the advantages of a Phase Contrast Microscope.
- c. Define Darkfield Microscopy.
- Mention two advantages of an electron microscope.