NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA BIO 301 GENETICS II
14/16, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY October, 2013 Examination
COURSE CODE: BIO 301
COURSE TITLE: GENETICS II TIME ALLOWED: 2 HOURS
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ANY FOUR QUESTIONS
1ai. Define population cytogenetics.
- ii. Discuss the genetic significance of de bi. Mention the goals of population genetics.
- ii. Describe the different types of duplications, and list their effec
2ai.Enumerate the role of structural chromosomal aberrations in plant breeding
- ii. Describe the mode of occurrence of the different types of inversions you know. b. Polyploids are of significant effects, Discuss
3ai.How do genes determine sex?
- ii. Describe the structure of pr
- What are the components of a ribosome?
- ii. Describe the various stages involved in transc
4ai. What do you understand by the term pedigree?
- ii. Write short notes on the following:
(i) Karyotype (ii) Codominance (iii) dosage compensation.
- Explain why sickle cell anemia is regarded as a heritable disease.
5ai. What do you understand by the term paralogous?
- ii. Briefly discuss the origin of polyploidy. bi. List the characteristics of X-linked traits ii. Write short notes on the following:
(i)silent mutation (ii)missence mutation (iii)point mutation
6ai. What do you understand by the term mutagens?
- ii. Describe the mode of action of the following mutagens: (i) Nitrous acid (ii) A base Analog (iii)UV light
- Define genetic transfer.
- ii. How can you tell if there are any mutant colonies in a culture?