NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA ANP301 INTRODUCTION TO NON-RUMINANT ANIMALS PRODUCTION
14-16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND LAGOS SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
MAY/JUNE 2012 EXAMINATION
ANP301: INTRODUCTION TO NON-RUMINANT ANIMALS PRODUCTION TIME ALLOWED: 2 HOURS
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ANY FOUR QUESTIONS
- i. State the advantages of poultry keeping.
- What are the problems or constraints of poultry production in Nigeria suggest ways of their improvement.
iii. Explain the criteria used in selecting doe for breeding.
- iv. Enumerate on the common preparations before farrowin
- i. State the advantages of keeping rabbits.
- Give guide lines that will help a poultry farmer in providing simple and
adequate housing for poultry under tropical conditions. iii. State factors to consider when selecting boar for service.
- iv. give the characteristics of good layer and good broilers.
- i. State the advantages of pig farming.
- State the advantages and disadvantages of the following:
- a. free range system
- battery cage system
- c. deep litter system
iii. How do you identify a healthy rabbit?
- i. Name five improved breeds of chickens that are found in Nigeria.
- Briefly explain the characteristics of any three breeds mentioned above. iii. Explain the advantages of rabbit meat over other meats.
- iv. Enumerate signs of heat period in
- 5. State precautions to be taken by poultry keepers to prevent the spread of diseases. ii. Mentioned six breeds of rabbit of international origin found in Nigeria and
explain the characteristics of any three.
iii. State the disadvantages of keeping pigs.
- iv. Enumerate the general consideration of designing a pig house and give examples of pig housing commonly found in the tropi
- 6. i. Discuss Newcastle, Fowl cholera and Gumboro diseases under the following:
- a) Causative agents and signs b) Means of transmission
- c) Prophylaxis and treatment
- State how to minimize major stresses in rabbits.
iii. Name six exotic breeds of pigs found in the tropics and describe the characteristic features of any three of theses exotic breeds of pig.