NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA AEM 722 RUMINANT ANIMALS
14/16, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY October, 2013 Examination
Course Code: AEM 722:
Course Title: RUMINANT ANIMALS TIME ALLOWED: 2 1/2 Hrs
INSTRUCTIONS: i. Answer FOUR questions in all
- All questions attract equal marks
- 1. (a) What is the role of ruminant animals in Nigerian Agriculture? (10 marks) (b) What general measures can be adopted to prevent (10 marks) (c) What signs are exhibited by the cow when she is on heat. (5 marks)
- 2. (a) Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the ruminant digestion proces
(b) Discuss any three Sheep and Goat diseases under the following headings: Signs, Prevention, Control. (8 marks)
(c) Explain how the weaning of calves is conducted. (7 marks)
- 3. (a) Sequentially enumerate the procedure for milking a co (10 marks) (b) Expatiate on the sheep/goat handling unit. (10 marks) (c) List six the signs that an animal inhibits to suggest it is in good health. (3 marks) (d) Define Stag (2 marks)
- 4. Write notes on the following: (5 marks each)
- a) Uda
- b) Yankassa c) Maradi
- d) Saanen e) Angora
|5.||(a) Milking cows are sometimes observed to have bad traits. Discuss.
(b) Small ruminants have comparative advantages over other ruminants.
(c) List the processing methods of milk.
(a) Explain the classification of cattle based on utility.
(b) Differentiate between protein and energy concentrates. (c) List 3 Nigerian breed and 3 foreign breeds of cattle.
(16 marks) (6 marks) (3 marks)