NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA AEM 713 TREE CROPS
14/16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY JUNE/JULY EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: AEM 713
COURSE TITLE: TREE CROPS TIME ALLOWED: 2 HOURS
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ANY FOUR QUESTION
- a) Identify any 5 plantation crop commonly grown in Nigeria using their common and botanical names
- b) State any five economic importances of some specific tree crops.
- c) List any five products you can obtain from oil palm tree. Question 2
- a) List any five climatic conditions required for consideration while attempting to set up a
plantation of tree crops
- b) List any five edaphic /soil factors that must be favourable in the choice of site for growing
- c) Briefly describe the step you will take to choose a site for planting Cocoa.
Question 3. Write a short note on each of the following;
- a) Need for a nursery in plantation crop production;
- b) Vegetative propagation (specifically grafting in Rubber); and c) Pre nursery seed (germination in oil palm).
- a) List any five simple tools you will use on a plantation field.
- b) Describe any 3 types of weeding require in oil palm production.
- c) Give reasons why pruning is required in plantation c Question 5.
- a) ( I)List any 2 diseases of cocoa (ii) name their causal organisms (iii) together with their mode
- b) List any five insect pests of plantation c
- c) List any five group of pesticide used on annual crops. Question 6.
- a) Describe any 3 method of fertilizer application on plantation crops. b) List any four types of fertilizer recommended for annual crops.
- c) Describe the cultural methods of controlling pests and diseases of plantation crops. d) List any 3 deficiency symptoms of N deficiencies in any plantation crop