NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA AEM 311 Introduction to Rural Life
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY October, 2013 Examination
Course Code: AEM 311: 2 (UNITS)
Course Title: Introduction to Rural Life
Time: 2 Hours
Answer 4 Questions (All questions carry equal marks)
- 1. What does the concept of Rurality mean?
- b. State two reasons why we study rural li
- State and explain five characteristics of rural areas.
- d. Mention four superstitions and three taboos believed in your local area.
- 2. With appropriate examples, list the types of settlement that can be found in rural areas, semi urban areas and urban areas.
- b. Mention three forms into which markets can be classifi c. Define the following terms:
- Social Interaction ii. Social Control iii. Social Solidarity
- 3. State and discuss the different types of economic activities that exist in rural areas.
- b. List eight methods of passing information from the extension workers to the farmers.
- 4. Identify the extension methods that can be used for training a group of farmers. b. Explain any five of the extension methods mentioned above.
- Who is a model farmer?
- 5. Define “Quality of human life”
- b. Explain seven the factors that determine quality of rural
- 6. Explain the term Poverty. b. State the types of poverty.
- Mention five causes of poverty.
- d. State five strategies for poverty reduction