NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA ACP 305 PRINCIPLES OF CROP PROTECTION
14-16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND LAGOS SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
MAY/JUNE 2012 EXAMINATION
ACP 305 PRINCIPLES OF CROP PROTECTION () Time Allowed: 2hrs Date: May/June 2012
Instruction: Answer any four questions
- (a). What are crop pests?
(b). Discuss the conditions that promote pest incidence on crops
(c). Distinguish clearly between the following pairs of terms: (i). Economic threshold and Economic injury level
(ii). Major/Key pests and Potential pests
- (a). Give common names and scientific names of three important insect pests of a named
(iii). Root and Tuber crop
(b). Discuss the principles of pest control
(c). Discuss the damages caused by storage pests
- 3. (a). Discuss the damages done to crops by rodents, birds and nematodes (b). List the measures you would take in the control rodents, birds and nematode
- 4. (a). What are weeds?
(b). Discuss the effects of weeds in crop production
(c). List the principles guiding weed management
(d). List five herbicides used in weed control
- (a). What is plant disease?
(b). List the categories of storage pests
(c). List three pests of storage products
(d). Discuss the precautionary measures for the control of pests in stored products.
- 6. (a). State the causal organism, symptoms and control measures of the following diseases:
(i). Swollen shoot disease of cocoa (ii). Groundnut leaf spot disease (iii). Root-knot disease of yam
(b). Distinguish clearly between an Epiphytotic disease and Endemic diseases.