NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
14–16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND LAGOS SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
MAY/JUNE 2012 EXAMINATION
PED 322 METHODS OF TEACHING READING IN THE PRIMARY SCHOOL Time Allowed. 2 Hours
INSTRUCTION: Attempt THREE questions only. Attempt question no. 1 and any other two questions.
- a. With illustrations, define and distinguish between oral and silent readin
- Explain briefly with examples how you would use the following to teach reading- i. picture clues. Ii. Context clues.
- a. Mention and explain 5 ways to locate main ideas in a reading passage.
- List and discuss 5 resources you can use to teach children functional reading.
- a. Discuss 3 activities you can use to develop reading readiness skills to disadvantaged pupils in
- Explain in full 4 reasons children should be taught the skills required for effective reading of content area subjects.
- a. What is listening and why is it a fundamental skill?
- Mention 2 kinds of evaluation you would use to test pupils’ progress in a Nigerian classroom.