NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
14–16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND LAGOS SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
MAY/JUNE 2012 EXAMINATION
EDU 720 ENGLISH METHODS TIME ALLOWED: 2HRS INSTRUCTION: Time Allowed
Attempt THREE questions only. Attempt question no. 1 and any other two questions.
1a. Mention 3 goals of teaching speaking.
- Explain the difference among the following utterances- Jane will travel to Abuja next week.
JANE will travel to Abuja next week.
Jane will travel to ABUJA next week. Jane will travel to Abuja NEXT week. Jane will travel to Abuja next WEEK.
- c. Mention 2 goals of teaching reading in the secondary scho
2A. List and explain four (4) purposes which English language serve in Nigeria.
- Explain 4 major approaches and methods of teaching English as a second language.
3a. Compare and contrast basal reading and language experience approaches to reading.
- State two main issues students must know about the process of writing. c. List 3 types of techniques for teaching grammatical structures.
4a. State 3 techniques one can use in teaching new words to students.
- Briefly define i. skimming. Ii. Scanning. Iii. Extensive reading. Iv. Intensive reading. c. Name and describe 3 types of pattern drills.