NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, EDU 714 HISTORY OF EDUCATION IN NIGERIA INSTRUCTIONS
14–16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND LAGOS
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2014 EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: EDU 714
COURSE TITLE: HISTORY OF EDUCATION IN NIGERIA INSTRUCTIONS: Answer question one and any other three questions TIME ALLOWED: Two and Half Hours.
|1.||a. Explain five basic characteristics of traditional education in Nigeria.||( 10 Marks).|
|b. List and explain five methods of traditional medicine in Nigeria.||(1 Marks.)|
|c. Briefly discuss Qur’anic system of Education in Nigeria.||(5 Marks).|
- 2. a. Discuss the reasons for European penetration into Nigeria in the 19th centu (1 Marks).
- b. Explain five provisions in the Education Ordinance of 1882 the colonial government’s
first formal document at the control of education by government. ( 5 Marks).
- a. Explain five factors that led to the establishment of higher education in Nigeria. (5
- b. Discuss briefly five problems that confronted Yaba Higher College. (10 Marks).
- a. Give five reasons that led to the criticism of the University College Ibadan by
Nigerians. (10 Marks).
- b. Explain the five major findings of Ashby Commission.( 5 Marks).
- 5. a. Explain the rationale for setting up the National Curriculum Conference by the
Federal Government of Nigeria in 1969.( 5 Marks).
- b. Give five importance of the National Policy on Education (1977) in Nigeria. (10