NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA CIT 759 Micro-Computing and WWW
14/16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY JUNE/JULY EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: CIT 759
COURSE TITLE: Micro-Computing and WWW TIME ALLOWED: 3hrs
INSTRUCTION: Attempt any five (5) questions
- a. With appropriate examples, state and explain the components of a microcomputer syst (8 marks).
- List and explain the 3 types of adapter cards (6 marks)
- c. Calculate the number of bytes required to store “illumination” (0.5 marks)
- Express the exact number of bytes in 1 TB as a power of 2. (3 marks)
- a. State the functions of the 2 components of the CP (4 marks)
- State the major difference between RAM and ROM (2.5 marks).
- State the Windows operating system shortcut keys to perform the following operations:
- Exit a program (2 marks)
- Open the help/support menu. (1 mark)
iii. Select all (2 marks)
- Copy (2 marks)
- Paste (2 marks)
- Briefly discuss data storage using floppy disks (4 marks)
- a. List and explain the other variants of CD-ROMs. (4 marks)
- List and explain the other variants of DVDs (8 marks).
- c. List 5 web browsers that run of Windows operating systems. (2.5 marks)
- List 6 web search engines. (3 marks).
- a. Explain briefly how a keyboard works (2 marks). b. Explain briefly how a mouse works (4 marks).
- Discuss briefly touch-pads and how they work (3 marks).
- List and explain briefly 2 types of optical scanners (5 marks). e. List 2 components in a voice recognition system (3.5 marks).
- a. List 2 components of hardware recognition input devices. (2 marks)
- List 2 display technologies used in PC systems. (2 marks)
- c. Complete the table below summarizing the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of monitors (8 marks)
|CHARACTERISTICS||CRT MONITOR||FLAT PANEL MONITOR|
|Size and weight|
|Potential viewing problems|
- Briefly discuss the following:
- Ink jet printers (3 marks)
- Dot-matrix printers (2.5 marks)
- a. List an explain 5 common image file formats/types their extensions and their meanings (10 marks).
- List and explain 3 sound file formats their extensions and their meanings (6 marks).
- List 2 common video file formats stating their extensions and their meanings (1.5 marks).