NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA BIO 405 HYDROBIOLOGY
14/16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY JUNE/JULY EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: BIO405
COURSE TITLE: HYDROBIOLOGY TIME ALLOWED: 2 HOURS
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ONLY 4 QUESTIONS
- a. Define autotrophic organisms. Give examples.
- Define heterotrophic organisms. Give examples. c. Outline the importance of benthic invertebrates.
- Mention the different communities of benthic organism.
- a. Define Productivity in ecology.
- Distinguish between primary productivity and secondary productivity
- c. In aquatic systems, primary production is typically measured using different techniques.
Name these techniques.
- Why are wetlands the most productive natural ecosystems?
- a. Outline the general features of Kainji Lake.
- Why is Lake Tanganyika an important biological resource for the study of speciation in evolution?
- Mention the five major natural vegetation types of Lake Chilwa.
- a. Define water pollution?
- What are the causes of water pollution?
- Outline the negative effects that could arise as a result of water pollution. d. Mention five water-related diseases and their means of transmission.
- a. Name the basic types of freshwater ecosystems. Give examples. b. Briefly describe a freshwater ecosystem.
- What are the sources of freshwater?
- a. Outline the role of agriculture in eutrophication. b. What are the symptoms of eutrophication?
- Mention the effects of eutrophication on receiving ecosystem.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE National Open University Exam Past Question – EDT834 OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2014 EXAMINATION