School of Postgraduate Studies
Welcome to the School of Postgraduate Studies of the National Open University of Nigeria, (NOUN) the only Nigerian University dedicated Distance Learning in the Country. Thank you for choosing the NOUN to pursue your postgraduate studies that will have profound influence on your future.
The National Open University of Nigeria from the inception of its academic programmes in 2003, had commenced Postgraduate studies in each of its five schools particularly at the postgraduate Diploma level. Nonetheless, the Senate of the NOUN formalised the establishment of a School of Postgraduate Studies at its 46th Regular Meeting of April 6, 2009.
The Postgraduate programmes of the University are run either on Full-time (particularly for research-based Ph.D and Masters Degrees) OR flexible time bases. Our programmes are designed to expand the depth of your knowledge and to develop new skills, update your professional skills as well as add value to your organisation and business. Hence most of our programmes, particularly at the Postgraduate Diploma and Masters level, are by Coursework and Research underpinned by the principles of Open and Distance Learning.
Application For Admission into Postgraduate Programmes
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for entry into the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) for studies leading to various degree awards in the following schools and programmes. The Programmes are run either on full-time [Particularly for Ph.D and Maters (with research)] or flexible time bases. Candidates should pick an option.
1. School Of Arts And Social Sciences
2. School Of Agricultural Sciences
3. School Of Education
4. School Of Law
5. School Of Science And Technology
6. School Of Management Sciences
1. To qualify for admission into any of the postgraduate programmes of the University, a candidate must meet, among others, all matriculation requirements of at least five (5) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics. Some programmes accept at least a pass in Mathematics.
2. For Postgraduate Diploma Programmes, Candidates must possess either a minimum of pass Bachelors Degree in any discipline from a University recognised by the Senate of the NOUN OR a Higher National Diploma with a minimum of Lower Credit. For the Postgraduate Diploma in Legislative Drafting, the candidate must have been called to the Bar. Also for admission into the school of Business and Human Resource Management Postgraduate Diploma programmes, candidates with professional qualifications such as ACA, ACIS, ACIB, ACII, ACIA, etc may be considered on individual merit.
3. For Master degree programmes, candidates must possess either a Bachelors Degree with a minimum of second class lower in the relevant field of study from a University recongnised by the Senate of the NOUN. However, holders of lower classification and with a minimum of 2 years of relevant post-qualification experience may be considered on individual merit OR a Postgraduate Diploma in related field of study from a recongnised University OR A Higher National Diploma with a minimum of Upper Credit in the relevant field of study. Candidate with membership certificate of relevant professional bodies may apply for the Master of Business (MBA) programme.
4. For the Doctor of Philosophy Degree prorammes, candidates must possess a masters degree in relevant field of study from a University recongised by the Senate of the NOUN with a minimum score average of not less than 60% or a cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.5 on a 5-point scale. Studying with us gives a rewarding experience as we give you all the support you need to succeed. You are welcome.